Windows 2008/IIS 7 or Windows 2012/IIS 8 allows a secure FTP connection via FTP over SSL. Note that this is not the same as SFTP (FTP via SSH), so you may have to experiment a bit with your FTP client settings to get a secure connection. Our tests were successful with the following.
- Click File -> Connect/Connect to bring up the Site Properties connection window or press the keys "Ctrl" + "T".
- Fill in the following fields:
- Enter a name you want to use to identify your DiscountASP.Net account on the CuteFTP label text box
- Change the "Login Method" to "Normal"
- Host Address – Enter either your domain name or alternate FTP address. The alternate FTP address can be located in Control Panel
- Username – Enter your FTP username. If using the primary account, the FTP username can be located in Control Panel
- Password – Enter the password for this user. If using the primary FTP user, please use the same password that you use to log in to Control Panel
- Click the Type tab on the Site Properties box and under the “Protocol type:” choose FTP with TLS/SSL (AUTH TLS – Explicit)
- Click Connect to connect
If you receive a "could not connect" error, or in implicit mode see an attempted connection to port 990, you have a configuration error. Please cut and paste the login information from Control Panel to make sure you are supplying the proper credentials and/or check the Protocol Type to specify “FTP with TLS/SSL (AUTH TLS – Explicit)”.
These instructions were tested on cuteFTP version 9.
Looking for added security? SiteLock scans your website to detect hacking, and SiteLock TrueShield provides a Web Application Firewall to block online threats. Protect your site today